Register Login Contact Us

Camping electricity hook up france

When you arrive at a campsite, go to the reception. Your pitch is reserved from mid-afternoon to mid-morning. Most camp offices close aboutsometimes earlier in the low season, except for some of the sites near the ports.

River Forest, Illinois dates ideas

Online: 5 hours ago


To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewerand support Mumsnet.

Years old: 30

Views: 8457

submit to reddit

Useful info

There will be lots of posts about reverse polarity, and at the end of the day you'll probably be no wiser than you were before. If you choose to ignore it, use up to date electrical equipment, protect your electrics from damp and rain, and make sure everything is unplugged after use, then your equipment will be as safe as if you choose to do something about polarity by making up your own reverse lead.

In order to post a reply you will need to registeror if already registered please log in here. Standard Member.

Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited! Diamond Member.

Platinum Member. Please report any error here.

You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. Home Log in or Register.

Welcome Guest. Topic: Please explain electric hook up in France. : 1 2.

Hello, I'm new to camping and new to the site. We are camping soon in france and have electricity but I am unsure about what we need to buy.

I'm totally confused. Can anyone advise please?

I thought we just plugged in and got on with it!! I have read the paper on this site but I found it rather complex!

Also, am i correct in thinking that as long as we do not use more than the alloted amps for our pitch we wont blow the electrics? A few sites use two pin sockets. You can get an adapter from Go Outdoors or Towsure for a couple of quid. Never bothered abiut polarity, its a geek specialism. Some sites have 6 amp supply and are quite eay to blow. Just be careful that you don't overload by running high powered things atvonce.

Often there is a reset buttkn atvthe hookup. This is the adaptor to take, XVI yes? As well is two words! How does a sage know everything about everything? Remember, if you buy something you bought it, not brought it. Chances are, you'll be fine with what you have.

That two pin adaptor ly mentioned might be worth having with you, just in case the French site still uses them. Only been to France once, and just to the one site. Ait does indeed sound geeky to meand B We don't hear too much about incidents on sites due to folk having the wrong polarity! Personally, I've heard nothing on the subject, and have chosen to ignore it, in all honesty!!

Yes, you need to limit your usage to the supply. Lights and chargers etc would usually use a lot less. Common supplies both in France and UK are 6amp, 10 amp, and less so in France 16amp.

There should be a trip switch on your EHU, and one on the site's supply post, so if things do trip, it should be a matter of just flicking it back on A kettle and heater together may well trip. A kettle, 'phone charger, and tent light would almost certainly stay on side by side. In conclusion. Stick with what you have, but maybe consider another couple of quid on the two pin adaptor, unless you know the site s you are visiting all have the same sockets as the UK.

When pitching up in France part of my routine includes testing the main supply. I carry a few different le as in our experience there is little conformity. One important piece of kit is my polarity checker and it has shown on occasions that the supply is reversed polarity.

As mentioned it may not cause any problems but where electricity is concerned I am careful. I won't bore you with the techie stuff but the potential to get electric shock is real. The polarity checker can purchased cheaply from most DIY stores and will not be a waste of money.

You will either need a selection of le or just 1 with a screwdriver! If you tell us what site you have booked someone will be able to tell you what hook up you need.

Chances are it is a standard one. Personally, I wouldn't bother with taking a two pin hook up. On the one occasion we needed one the camp site had plenty to lend out. If you are going to a main stream site, you really don't need to worry about reverse polarity. We've found two pin adaptors can be borrowed from sites where you need them. On a site 2 weeks ago where they had a the old 2-pin sockets and b reverse polarity.

It didn't make any difference to my 'van, but my friend's much newer 'van complained and refused to work electrically speaking until he re-wired the adaptor.

ThisIMO, is the best and simplest tester to carry with you Cheap, efficient, and the size of a standard plug top. We've only come across one site that had old 2-pin connections in the last 4 years, and we went back there a couple of weeks ago and they had been changed to the standard Euro-plug. What you NEED is an EHU lead and plug set up like you mention from somewhere like GO and it would be a useful idea to take a continental adapter which will probably cost about a fiver online or a bit more in shop If you are using modern appliances and don't dabble with any of them to fix them etc without first unplugging from the EHU and unplug as habit when not using ie don't rely on socket switch to turn something off then you need nothing else same as millions do each year Enjoy your trip don't forget you may need some speedos for pools in France I needed a 2pin adaptor in la yole 2 years ago we arrived late so the shop was shut and couldn't blow our aerobed up, uncomfortable first nights sleep.

The bigger sites in popular areas will invariably have the standard blue socket, but take an adaptor to the 2 pin anyway. More important will be an extension lead as some ehu point can be a long way from the pitch. We have just returned from a trip which involved 16 sites, 7 of which required the 2 pin adaptor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, this is really helpful. Following this advice we will get an adaptor and the polarity checker- thanks for the link kelper. But- if the polarity is reversed, what then?

Sorry all- I stopped learning physics at 13! Do i need to buy a different lead? Also, am i right in thinking france are on a v supply like us? If so i can use a converter table like below and as long as the total is less than 10 amps which we have on pitch - then we are ok- is this correct?

No one can assure you on polarity on sites. It isn't whole campsites which might have a problem, but individual sockets on individual bollards. We'd been camping for almost thirty years, without incident, when I first heard about reverse polarity. As we'd done nothing in the first thirty years, and not come to harm or blown any of our equipment, electrocuted ourselves, or blown any fuses, we've just carried on doing nothing.

If you have a tester and find a problem try another socket and if that's the same then your only solution if you want to 'correct' the polarity is to have a reverse connected lead - but make sure you know what you're doing before making one up - or get advice from the 'expert electricians' on here. Prev Next. Jump To : 1 2. Printable version.